If you exchange the words « UK » or « Australian » for « New Zealand » and « New Zealand » for « UK » or « Australian » in the summaries above, you will see what the agreements say about the rights of New Zealand citizens and holders of class of stay visas in these countries. Reciprocal agreements would only take a traveler so far (please excuse the pun). In addition, reciprocal health care agreements do not always cover the full costs of hospital care. That`s how she could get into real trouble if something happens. The CEF does not apply outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland. Be sure to mention the mutual health agreement with the UK and have all the necessary evidence when you have access to healthcare. The Parties shall communicate to each other, as soon as possible, the details of any changes to the laws or other laws in force in their territory which may affect the nature and extent of the health services provided under this Agreement. This agreement remains in force, but New Zealanders who stay in the UK for more than six months on a visa will have to pay an immigration surcharge as part of their visa application from 6 April 2016. Please visit www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration (link leave this page) for more information. I have read mutual health agreements between Britain and New Zealand. Does this mean she doesn`t need travel medical insurance? If not, you can simply take out travel insurance covering normal medical things, but no declared conditions? Would it be much cheaper if she bought it at the last minute, which denies the need for a possible trip cancellation? The agreements do not cover the costs of returning to the UK (repatriation) or routine monitoring of medical history. General information on travel vaccinations and a travel health checklist can be found on the NHS website.

You can then contact your health advisor or pharmacy to advise you on other preventive measures and treat existing diseases while you are abroad. For more information on the UK healthcare system, please visit the Department of Health website (link leaving this page). .